History

Khatra was declared to be an additional Sub-Division of Bankura district on 27.03.1986 which subsequently happened to become a full-fledged Sub-division on 2.11.1992.Khatra Sub-division comprised of eight blocks. Khatra block is one of the eight blocks of Khatra Sub-division. Till 16.12.1997 Hirbandh block used to be known as Khatra II Block.

As far as known, Khatra block was established in 1955-56 which was further broken into two blocks within 1958-62.According to common belief, the name ‘Bankura’ has been named after ‘Bankagiri’. In 1135 A.D. Kalinga monarch Anantabarman spread his dynasty up to South Bankura. Anantabarman extended the ambit of his rule and built a fort at Sarengarh taking advantage of the then Pala ruler Kumar Pal’s administrative loophole.

As far the reportings of Sri A.K. Banerjee, Anantabarman exhibited his reverence for the Bramhins when a lot of Bramhins from Orrissa made an exodus and started staying in south Bankura. “The advent of Senas, who were Brahminical Hindus, were nevertheless very liberal in this religious belief and saw no point in ousting by force a religion, in which their subjects had believed for ages. But the royal patronage offered by them to Brahminism slowly worked out the effacement of Jainism which did not die a violent death, but of the social and religious circumstances obtaining then- was gradually absorbed into the wider Brahminical Hindu fold.” Hence as per historians, the transformation to Saiba religion from Jainism occurred before the onset of the 16th century as far as the inhabitants of this region are concerned.

“The earliest reference to the country of which Bankura now forms a part is found in the Jain Acharanga Sutra. The Sutra tradition, according to some scholars, dates from 6the to 5the century B.C. i.e. approximately from the time of Vardamana Mahavir, is being assumed that parts of it were written around the 3rd century B.C. According to the first book of the Jaina Scripture, the 24th Tirthankara Mahavira travelled Suhma-Bhumi and Vajja-Bhumi is the country of the Ladhas (Radhas)” so, it can be aptly deciphered that the presently known Khatra Development Block was blessed with the auspicious and gracious foot-steps of the 14th Tirthankara of Jainism,-‘Mahavira’. Inhabitation of south Bankura is quite ancient as per the description from the sources of Acharanga but the spread of human population in the then time in Khatra area is very distinct. To contrary, perhaps the sparse population is conducive to development of Meditation centers of the Jains in forests, hillocks and virgin lands.